Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ode to Oprah


I recently started using my DVR for good things (not that Spongebob, Dora and Diego are bad but after 60 saved episodes of each it becomes turtuous). I started recording Oprah to watch after I put the kids to bed. Watching the shows again was like being re-united with a former BFF. I admit it, I LOVE the shmaltzy "we can all be winners...live your best life...accomplish your dream" shtick that she spoon feeds us every day. It's like wrapping yourself in a warm fuzzy blanket. I laugh, cry, cheer and get totally sucked in and begin living the gospel. I've followed Dr. Oz's advice and rid my fridge of foods containing sugar, enriched flour and partially hydrogenated oil. I try to "pass it on" every day and do good deeds for strangers (some days smiling politely at chronic compainers is the best I can muster), I even started believing that maybe I can accomplish my own dream of being a successfull freelance video producer/journalist, live on the ocean or in the mountains (I'm not too picky -either will do), travel the world with my pilot/rocket scientist husband and gorgeous kids during the summer, all while being deliriously happy and then featured on Oprah herself! OK, OK, I agree, a lot of it is totally fake and corny, but I've realized that Oprah's biggest appeal is that it inspires you. You see every day people doing wonderful things, and it takes a little away from the sayings "I could never accomplish that" or "what can I do? I'm only one person." It's a great escape into optimism and I always want to accomplish a little more after watching. And after retiring up to the bedroom, guess what I can read before going to sleep? You know it - the "O" Magazine!

Thrifty Green Tip: Don't idle your car - it's a myth that cars burn more gas starting up than sitting there idling. If you're waiting for someone or something, just turn the engine off. You'll save emissions, AND gas money.

1 comment:

chitknit said...

You're so funny!

I'm a big O fan as well, though I must admit, if I DVR it, I do a lot of FFwding most days.