Monday, September 17, 2007

Better late than never



I hawked newspapers for United Way last week outside my work. Denise Neil (a columnist at the paper) was there too, so we hung out and made the best of it. Most of the time I was there (6:30am-8am) it was dark and quiet. The DJ from Power 93FM was there too and I love how they always make it sound like there's a BIG party going on wherever they are - I mean I wanted to go there too until I realized I was there and it was just the three of us, and a random car that would try like hell to avoid eye contact until we pretty much had to jump on the hood waving like idiots. Denise just emailed me the pictures she took and I guess I'd better abandon any plans I have to do any sign-holding jobs after looking at that first picture - nice. I redeemed myself in the second picture though.

In other thoughts...Joshua's teacher asked to speak to us last week after school (uh ohhhhh), but it was good news. Seems Josh scored so far off the charts in the mandatory reading comprehension tests that he will now be spending a few hours each day with, not first graders, but SECOND graders! If you're a diligent blog reader you'll know that I predicted my son was a genius way long ago.

I watched the Travel Channel last night, which is a big deal b/c the kids take it hostage over the weekend until I'm stuck with the theme song of "Diego and Dora" stuck in my head for the rest of the week (why does Dora get only a "backpack" when Diego gets to have a "rescue pack?" - sexist). Anyways, the program showcased the natural wonders of the earth - Amazon River, the Gadaloupe Islands (spunds like that anyhow), and the world's tallest waterfalls in Venezuela - MAN I wanted to go see all of them - I'm a traveler at heart and have been fighting the desperate urge to go off travelling again. I used to go overseas every year until the kids - yes joys of my life etc etc - how can I find a job travelling and producing TV programs? ahhhh, Travel Channel! Now I need to convince Euge to move to DC - NASA's Goddard Flight Center is there, should be a cinch.

Green Tip of the Day - The Eagle did an awesome 2-page article on re-useable shopping bags (I know, everyone outside of Kansas is like "well duhhh"), but local folks - these are great. They costs under $2 each and save plastic bags from polluting lakes, or just sitting in landfills for like thousands of years (they don't desintegrate). The reuseable bags also save the energy and resrouces going into making the plsatic ones. They're stronger, save you a ton of trips back and forth unloading your groceries and they're totally hip right now - you'll be the envy of the parking lot!! Dillons Marketplace sells them now, and offers recycling for plastic bags. Just get one or two each grocery trip you make and you won't feel the cost at all.

No comments: