Friday, September 14, 2007

Back in Time


As part of my "Duties as Assigned" at work, I'm working half-time at Old Cowtown Museum - It's a living history museum that's in bad need of a facelift. We had a special VIP kick-off event yesterday and I decided to have fun with it. I got help with the costume closet and dressed up in 1880's period dress. OK, if you're a good sport and a tad narcissistic like me, this is a great gig. As one of the "Townfolk" I had people approach me, get their pictures taken with me, and just smile a lot more than usual. I adhere to the Sesame Street principle of "the more we get together, the happier we'll be", so I had a great time. I was also so impressed in talking with the other real-re-enacters, how dedicated and passionate they are about the place. Most have been volunteering for like 10 years and just love it (this is like EVERY weekend without pay). I can see a little now why they love it - it's a little bit of an escape, like playing house in a make-believe little town that's life-size!. I had fun during my time there and can now say I think it's a place worth visiting - just slow down and be sure to spend some time talking to the interpreters - their knowledge and attitude are a welcome change from the hectic pace of everyday life.

No comments: