Thursday, May 24, 2007

Class of 2007!



It was a big day this week for my little guy Joshua - he graduated from Pre-Kindergarden this week and will be heading off to school this fall. I know - I know, What?? they have ceremonies for this? Trust me, I was one of those people too at one time - I'd balk at parents who gushed over their toddler's blubbering nonsensicle words, and would roll my eyes when kids were congratulated for accomplishing the most menial tasks (" you jumped with both feet - hooray"!!) . Now I've joined the league of insanely proud and annoying parents whose kid will surely skip 2 grades once they reach school because their teachers will confirm what you've known all along - your child is a genius. The transition from a safe highly-reputed preschool into the unkown world of "real" school was an eye-opening experience - parents are cut-throat competitive these days about getting their kid into a "good" school and you're constantly bombarded with "What school is Joshua going to?". I dread this question because after spending months going back and forth we decided to send him to the cute public school 2 blocks away. It's in a nice neighborhood (ours), got good grades for academics, has nice teachers, and is a nice mix of kids. Despite all this, I still feel defensive when I tell people where he's going and often hear "Oh, that's supposed to be a nice school...(akward pause)..we decided to send our son to (la-te-da private school that costs a jillion dollars a year). I often can't help but wonder if we made the right decision...our son's a genius! He should be the one going to the fancy private school..not your kid that still drools at 5 years old! I have to constantly ground myself and not get caught up in the over-zealous movement that academics are all that matter. I hope I raise my son to be proficient in other areas besides grades (gasp! I know!!) , like manners (where have they dissapeared to?), travelling, trying new things, develolping great diplomacy skills (so needed in today's narcassistic society), advocating for our environment, participating in the arts, recognizing the importance of family, and learning that a smile can open more doors than demands. These attributes alone may not get him the VP CEO job, but they are just as important as any grade to live a fullfilled and happy life. As I watched my son walk down the aisle with my camcorder and camera in hand (trying not to sob and shake the camera), I hoped I can teach him what I have learned over the years and be a good example so that he can repeat this scene 16 years from now with a university diploma AND the life experience and principles to truly become "a success".

No comments: