Tuesday, June 19, 2007

1 week Meat-Free

Well it's been one week living meat-free for me. Thoughts:

- I didn't lose a pound, but feel much lighter.
- I have more energy and don't feel as sluggish as I usually do after I eat.
- I haven't had this much gas since I was pregnant (they say this will "pass" - haha)
- overall, I think it's a good start and I've decided to stick with it.

I didn't fare as well on my other goals of cutting out sugar, salt, caffeine and other fatty foods. I've really tried limited my dairy consumption to low-fat or fat-free, and I haven't been adding salt to foods, which is an accomplishment - for me anyways. I feel like I'm cheating since I still eat fish, but maybe I'll start decreasing that too (but not shellfish - never!!). I have certainly eaten more veggies and fiber than before, and my body feels good for it. I also feel good about the switch from an environmental standpoint and ethical standpoint. The only thing that had always bothered me about vegetarianism was the perceived self-righteousness that goes along with it. I'm going to take the advice of the Dalai Lama - he says that buddhists should always practice vegetarianism and look for a vegetarian option, but if none is avaliable, you are to to accept, be grateful, and eat the food that is presented to you - meat-free or not. I like this because my upbringing would never allow me to turn down a meal someone prepared for me as a guest in their home because I decided to become a vegetarian (I know this seems wimpy and I do respect those who feel differently).

Enough about me - Eugene got his Private Pilot's Lisence - hooray!! I think it is so cool that he accomplished something most people just put on their "things to do before I die" list and forget about. Of course it doesn't hurt that he's a flight test engineer - unfair advantage. Maybe I'll get my liscence to and we can be like the "Danger Bay" family (Canadians would get this reference to beloved CBC cheesy favorite) and all fly planes and helicopters simultaneously :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stacey ... Tell Eugene congrats. And good look with the vegetarian thing. No way could I do that.
Dan