Wednesday, October 3, 2007

school schedule mayham

Sometimes I think it would be easier to give up fighting the system, quit my job, and spend the day shuttling my kids back and forth to various committments b/c it sure seems like the schools do not want both parents working. I found out yesterday when I picked up my son at 5:15pm, that he doesn't have school for the rest of the week. They're doing the "DIAL" mandatory testing on each kid for half an hour each and apparantly they can't handle conducting regular classes at the same time. Now I admit, I got the letter home saying they're doing this testing and that Josh wouldn't have "regular classes", but I didn't interpret that as "no school at all for three days straight". I've been spoiled with preschool, where, if your kid doesn't have class, he goes to Adventure Club: the after-hours care. I have Josh in "latchkey" (God I hate that term being a lowly latchkey child myself during my elementary and middle school years) and they posted their notice YESTERDAY AFTERNOON that there would be no latchkey Wed, Thurs or Fri. Now, Euge and I are transplants here, which means no family or close ties with moms that have nothing better to do than watch our kid for 3 days straight. I couldn't skip work for the rest of the week and neither could Euge. I thought fast and raced to preschool daycare where I begged the admin head (literally crouched and had hands in praying motion with a pitiful look) to take Josh in the preschool class. The Gods must have been smiling on me because it turns out a kid was sent home throwing up that day and that meant there would be a space for Josh today (the Gods were obviously not smiling down on him - wonder what he did?). Thurs and Fri looked good too. Now I have to find a way to take him to his scheduled testing time tomorrow morning, when I have 4 meetings scheduled back to back at the same time (I already called Euge and he has an appt with an orthopedic surgeon he's waited 3 months to get). I think I'll leave it in the hands of the Gods again (you can tell I'm a huge Battlestar Galactica fan), I'm too tired to stress about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stacey, I've so enjoyed reading your blog... found it through your Facebook page. Feels so much like catching up, minus the wine/beer in hand (ah, those were the days!)

That whole 'no mom's nearby' is something we're missing too, when we were back in Ontario they would practically fight over whose turn it was to take a VACATION day to look after Adam! Thank god I set my own hours now!

Nancy