Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Coincidences, Connections, Craziness

You know the 'Six Degrees of Seperation" rule - well, in Wichita, Kansas it's "one degree of seperation". This means that no matter who you meet here, you'll both have at least one friend/aquaintance in common. This has ceased to amaze me after living here a while (I used to proclaim "you're kidding I know them TOO!! so much I started annoying myself) - it's a small City and subcultures are tightly connected - but a coincidence this past weekend blew my mind. We were at Benton Airport for Eugene's dept. picnic (super fun - Josh got his first plane ride in a Stearman Bi-Plane) and a cool-looking couple show up. The guy had a friend who was a pilot at Benton who told him that there was an event going on that days (ours) and he might be able to score some free place rides. The plane rides were over but once the Stearman Pilot (Sam Gaymar the ex-astronaut who'se been up in space 3 times and comes straight out of the movie "the right stuff") learns that the visitor-guy is originally from Poland, he takes him over - on the tractor of course - to the neighboring house, where there are four Polish student pilots living there. Sam takes the guy (I can't remember his name - let's call him "Sal") into the house and to go meet the students. One of the students looks at "Sal" strange and says "wow, I used to know a "Sal" back in Poland, he was my next door neighbor. "I know" said "Sal", "I'm him." Can you believe that? Two next door neighbors from Poland meeting up in the middle of nowhere, Kansas. The world is a small place and if you're open to opportunities and willing to take a chance, you can make connections everywhere you go!

GREEN TIP OF THE DAY: In honor of "Blog Action Day" I'm referring you to some environmental blogs that are popular on Blogspot - take your pick and read one - there's a blog listed for every taste and interest:

http://greenfuture.blogspot.com/ - Thoughts on the coming of a society that is in balance with nature.

http://consciousearth.blogspot.com/ - Earth-centered news for the health of air, water, habitat and the fight against global warming.

http://greenskeptic.blogspot.com/ - Devoted to challenging assumptions about how we live on the earth and protect our environment.

http://thelazyenvironmentalist.blogspot.com/ - Sustainable living made easy.

No comments: