Monday, July 2, 2007

Attention Everyone

I've been having a hard time focusing on things lately. Thoughts race through my head at lightning speed and and I have trouble concentrating on one thing at a time. I was watching TV yesterday when a commercial came on for Adult ADD. There was a lady in a meeting at her work and her thoughts were wondering around aimlessly and her boss had to snap her out of it. "I have found the answer" I thought - "I have adult ADD".

My intensive research into the matter (google) came up with a handy selection of questionnaires that you simply fill out to determine of you in fact, do have adult ADD. Sample yes/no/sometimes questions included:

1. At home, work, or school, I find my mind wandering from tasks that are uninteresting or difficult.
2. I say things without thinking, and later regret having said them.
3. I fidget or squirm with my hands or feet when I have to sit down for a long time.
4. I have trouble wrapping up the final details of a project, once the challenging parts have been done.

OK now I was convinced, I really DO have adult ADD. With each questionnaire came a handy drug associated with it to soothe your uncontrollable impulses and put those fidgety hands at ease. Strattera claims it delivers focus, calmness and is non-habit forming. Sign me up!! Ohhhh...but then I read about the side effects - Nausea, Tiredness, liver damage and (my personal favorite) suicidal thoughts. Hmmm...fidgeting vs. wanting to kill myself - that's a real pickle. Luckily there were plenty of other drugs out there, but they all pretty much came with the same negative baggage. I then logged on to the National Resource Center on AD/HD (attention-Deficit Hyper-Activity Disorder) and it stated that "unfortunately, there is no simple test (like a blood test or a short written test) to determine whether someone has AD/HD....Accurate diagnosis is made only by a trained clinician after an extensive evaluation. This evaluation should include ruling out other possible causes for the symptoms involved, a thorough physical examination, and a series of interviews with the individual (child or adult) and other key persons in the individual's life (for example, parents, spouse, teachers, and others)."

That got me thinking about those questions listed above - I mean, am I crazy to assume that we all try to avoid boring tasks, say things we later regret and squirm once in a while? Maybe I'm just in complete denial but those tendencies all sound pretty...dare I say..normal? I'm sure there are legit cases of Adult ADD out there, but I worry that these drug companies are encouraging people to take drugs who may actually just be just bored at work. As for me, I'm going to keep practicing my meditation, really work at calming my mind (no more 3-cup of coffee days), and I heard that fidgeting actually burns tons of calories - so I'll keep squirming away!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog! And yes, you are a fidgeter (drives me crazy), but I'm pretty sure you don't have adult ADD. You just have what prety much everyone has when they are bored at work - it's called bored-at-work syndrome. But hey, look on the bright side...you still get paid the same!

Kathryn said...

Adult ADD does exist. Either a family medicine or a psychiatrist can diagnose and treat. Both Strattera and stimulants work well, if that's what you have.