Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Gramma Jean

Well it's 9:30pm and I'm packing to head across the country into a different country tomorrow morning. My gramma Jean died this morning - she went to sleep last night and just didn't wake up - she was 88, no major health issues, still lived in her house and drank beer straight from the bottle - we all loved her. I haven't even had time to be sad about it, since I've been to busy dealing with work, teaching, groceries and the logistics of "how in the hell am I going to get there by tomorrow night?". PEI is not the easiest place to get to. A flight from here to there costs $1500 (I know!!). So, after spending an hour on the phone this afternoon with Eugene and comparing online travel sites and airfare prices ("change the date, ok, now change the destination airport, ok now change the arrival airport"), I found a "clearance fare" from Kansas City to Halifax, Canada - a 2.5 hour drive away from PEI - for $700- we shuffled the credit card balances around and grabbed it. Thank god my boss was really understanding and there was no crises going on at work this week (but there goes my easy "rest of the week" - read previous blog below). I'll take the camera - my family should provide some amusing photo opps for sure - and report on how it all went when I'm back on Tuesday.

No comments: