Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Stuck in a Rut....


I came to the realization last week that I am unfullfilled by my job in general. I know, like I'm the only one right?? I have been giving myself plenty of reasons why I should feel guilty about even thinking like this: I have a great office (with a door!), I work in a cool area (yes,we have 1 or 2), I make decent money, the people I work with are great, I get all the stat holidays off (President's Day!!), etc etc. The problem remains the actual WORK - it's administrative stuff and about as exciting as watching c-span for 8 hours straight -EVERY DAY. The TV stuff I do get to do is mundane - promo pieces and more admin work that conflict with my journalistic training. I realized last night that for the past 5 years, I have been setting up a career path to accomodate others: weekends and nights off to be with the family, holidays off so I'd be home with the kids, 9-5 with no overtime to be home for dinner, and a job that I can "leave" at work (I have warned and berated about the evil dangers of "taking work home with you"). To be truthful, these are all noble objectives, and when you have 2 kids under 5 with no extended family in sight, it's also a necessity. However, it also means you're going to have a pretty mundane job. Ask anyone and you know that I have a pretty strong personality. I need creativity and passion, I need to make a difference in the lives of others, I need to get excited about things. I have made excuses for not getting back into journalism for long enough - I need to get a job that actually suits ME, while also maintaining some sort of family balance - It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out....

No comments: