Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ode to Cake



In a temporary moment of self-righteous craziness, I decided to give up sugar for lent. I'm not "chritian-ny" (AKA bible-beater) and haven't given up anything for lent in years so I'm not sure what prompted this regrettable decision. One thing's for sure though, you give up a food for the big guy above, just see if you have the guts to cheat. There's no sneaking food in private (which in my house would mean the bathroom and that's kind of gross anyway), there's no making excuses (he's heard 'em all), and there's no thinking "what can it hurt" - ummm, try a life of worrying that St.Peter will meet you at the pearly gates shaking his head saying, "ah,ah,ah...you ate cake during lent, too bad so sad" . Cue floor dropping out from under you and Guns and Roses playing "Welcome to the Jungle" - I am NOT taking that chance (I hate Guns and Roses). But man o man I have been tempted. I have been presented with birthday cake 3 times in the past 4 days. Now I love cake - I REALLY love cake. I would stalk the local bowling alley and crash kids' birthday parties at the chance of a piece of cake "I'm your long-lost aunt Roda - really!". I would buy cake for evey occasion imagineable if I could get away with it - "The water bill came down by $5 this month - cake!!". And I'm not fussy - cream cheese icing, chocolate icing, that crappy shortening icing from the supermarket cheapee cake - I'll eat em all!! So imagine how depressing it was to be offered: An awesome supermarket cake (not crappy) at a birthday party my son attended on Sat. afternoon - of course my kids would only eat half their pieces and proclaim "I'm full!" without a care in the world - unappreciative selfish children. I was then offered a gourmet flourless chocolate cake at an adult birthday party that evening (with gourmet cream sauce and all) - the horror!! By the time the chocolate brownie cake was presented last night at yet another birthday party (does everyone deicde to procreate in...what was 9 months ago....June? - actually that makes sense). I was so ready to give in...I had already made my piece with hearing GnR in the afterlife - it's worth it for a piece of cake. Then my friends and husband announced there were strawberries in the fridge for me - damn bragging to everyone about my goodness!!! so I sulked and ate my strawberries but you know what? Today I must admit I feel stronger for not giving in - I have also gotten some good karma thrown my way (read 2 blogs ago) and maybe I'll just give up sugar forever - or maybe I'll just order the biggest damn Chocolat bunny-shaped cake you've ever seen and gorge myself sick on Easter - That's my "just Desserts."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister.

I heart chocolate (in any and all forms, pretty much) but I admire your sticktoitiveness!